Course Duration: 4 weeks
Course Dates: Every month (Use the contact form on the right to find exact start date).
Availaibility: Available every month. See Actuall dates below or Click here
If you need any last minute slots please contact us on our phone number.
This course enables candidates to achieve Mca Yacht 4 Chief Engineer certification by the MCA Oral examination route. Candidates will receive tuition and guided study in preparation for the MCA Oral examination.
1. Understand the routine associated with taking over and accepting a watch, the duties to be performed during a watch and the routine associated with handing over to the following
watch. Watchkeeping includes UMS/bridge control periods of duty.
2. Understand the safety precautions to be observed during a watch or period of duty and the immediate actions to be taken in the event of a fire, accident or malfunction of machinery or systems.
3. Understand the precautions to be taken to reduce the possibility of machinery space fires.
4. Be familiar with the machinery space fire fighting arrangements and their use.
5. Compilation of machinery space log book and understand significance of readings taken.
6. Preparation of main machinery and auxiliary equipment for sea. Testing of plant and
7. Routine pumping operations of fuel oil, fresh water and ballast water.
8. Use of oily water separator and precautions to be observed to prevent environmental
9. Preparation, starting, coupling and changeover of alternators or generators.
10. Connection and disconnection of shore electrical power.
11. Immediate action necessary in cases of electrical shock.
12. Location and rectification of common faults in pumps and pumping systems.
Although presentation of other topics may be arranged where the whole group should benefit. Tutorials will be delivered as formal lectures and/or demonstrations as appropriate, supplemented by group discussion, question and answer sessions and directed study.
Candidates are also encouraged to make full use of other learning resources, including the on-site nautical library, Internet access, training software and feedback from previous candidates.
Each candidate gets a free access to our moodle online learning environment and a mock orals at the end of the course. This helps them repair any damage before going for the actual orals.